I thought this might be interesting to watch. They are some documentaries which highlight the truth about our food and how industrialization and packaging have changed everything. I watched these a long time ago and over time it has driven me to change my habits.
Jamie Oliver on sugar in our foods - http://youtu.be/go_QOzc79Uc
Mark Bittman on food - http://youtu.be/GiEhFvysQGI
Food incorporated, watch this only if you have the stomach for it, it highlights the current status of industrialized meat production, our sheer lack of humanity in treating other species and how everything has become a business for us.
Industrialization has caused a lot of things to become non-transparent to consumers and if there is a way someone can sell something to you, they will, even if it is water or soil or rock. Big corporations dont care about your health or well being, they just look for the next thing to sell to you and how to sell it to you. The true question is, when we run out of our natural resources (fresh water, plants, pollinators like bees, birds, etc), will the green paper fill our stomach? What will you buy when there is nothing left to buy that you can eat? We lack complete respect for our resources and the world around us. We buy something, throw out the packaging and dont think twice about what happens to it. It is out of sight and not in my house, not my problem. Out of sight out of mind. Whose problem is it, something for our kids to deal with? We dont even want to deal with the emotions that come with eating meat, early on, people had to chase, hunt and clean the meat themselves. Killing something comes at a cost, an emotional cost. Everyone cannot do it and you appreciate the sacrifice that being made so that you could eat something today. You respect it. Today, we by pass all of that, why do I make my hands dirty if a machine or someone else can do it for me. We have become cowards.
There are islands on our planet filled with plastic bags, bottles and things that will remain there long after we are gone. Is that what we want to leave on this planet, piles of trash floating around?
I cannot fix things, the only thing I can do as an individual is to make choices and changes to my lifestyle which minimize the trash I leave behind when I leave this planet.

No comments:
Post a Comment