Saturday, October 24, 2020

Desire to fit in vs authenticity

A need and sense to belong is at the core of a lot of our behaviors as humans. There is a desire to fit in and belong to a tribe either you have it by birth or you find it in friends. But then you also have to be authentic to yourself and do what makes you you. Well arent they sometimes in contradiction with each other. Fitting in has been my personal challenge all my life. Tried to speak the language and walk the walk but always stuck out as a sore thumb on both sides of my family. And now I dont fit in in the country I live or the country I come from. The mish mash of experiences makes us all very unique and then defines some outliers who will always struggle to fit in. Should the outlier feel bad for not fitting in or is it pushing the envelope! Maybe in the end its all an illusion and a story the outlier likes to tell itself!

No comments: