Monday, September 19, 2011

Experience Seville, Sept 18th 2011


My trip to Seville was not foreseen until I was told that a certain local conference had rejected my technical paper. It came as a ray of light for another chance at publishing my work and communicating it to the world outside the realm of me and my advisors. After a see saw of go and not to go and visa application, etc. everything was arranged for me to make my first visit to Europe and it was to be by myself. My other half without whom I find it hard to function, could not accompany me on this endeavor.

After a grueling turbulent flight, in which I promised myself not to spend it silent and not speak to the folks around and I did have nice company of a cop from Illinois, I landed in Seville with a queezy feeling in my stomach. I was already regretting that I had taken these flights to get to a place where I did not understand a single word due to a language barrier and might not even find food to my liking. I stepped out to a land with English as maybe the last or second to last option for communication. Reached my hotel, when my tummy reminded of another problem to address. Lunch!

After some google searches and failed attempts, I spoke with the receptionist, only to realize...sometimes it is better to ask someone than a search engine! She suggested of a pizzeria not 5 minutes away by walk. I walked to the corner, watching the buildings and apartments. Reminded me so much of my home country, India. I walked into the pizzeria, Elis Victoria's pizzeria. As soon as I enter, 3 legs of ham confront me on the wall and I wonder whats the deal with that. I continue to walk in, the place had a charm of its own. No air conditioning....open doors and windows...people, families and friends sitting and having fun...some drinking. The menu stared back at me in Spanish and I began looking for words I could identify as meat or non meat. Some words just sound like meat you know! Finally I was ready to place the order, I pointed to the item and then said can you add aaahh...looking for another familiar word....olives negras (black olives), he nodded. Then he said something and I assumed he was asking here or to go....from his gestures....I said to go and pointed to the door. Then he asked another question which indicated size of the pizza, so I pointed to the size on the menu. Slowly I was gaining confidence that I could communicate after all. Then I waited...waited....he and another person started cleaning the place....waiting.....should I ask him...no nevermind I wouldnt know what to say....did he understand my order.....I think he misunderstood....they are cleaning and not making anything.....maybe it is being made inside......waiting.....people walking by.....waiting....soon my wait was rewarded....my pizza arrived in a box from the kitchen. I paid and walked out proud that I managed to get some lunch. The pizza had a thin crust and compensated for it with equal amount of mozzarella on top. Nevertheless it tasted great! I gorged on it before taking a shower and sleeping.

The next challenge after a siesta again was dinner. After planning on the next week and figuring out the things I wanted to accomplish, I headed out of the room thinking I will run into somebody or figure something out downstairs. Fortunately I met a chinese couple there for the same conference and facing the same question. We were directed to a place called Alameda and boy it was a happening place at 8:30 in the night.

Alameda square (pic on top, it does not do justice to the place)

There were people everywhere seated outside on tables and chairs. Some drinking and eating, some just catching with friends and enjoying the outside. The air was filled with conversations, spanish music, kids playing soccer on a paved stone courtyard, dogs chilling either with an owner or without one, just free to roam without a leash. The place had a vibe of energy that I have never felt before. I entered with caution as I was not used to such freedom and openness. Should I be relaxed as well...I was not sure. I walked along with the chinese friends who were very kind to take me along with them and indulge me in conversation. There was lots of Tapas bars there and we chose one just like we play shotgun. Picked a table and started staring at a menu again that didnt speak to us in familiar words. Fortunately they had an English menu. In the meantime...a woman bumps into me...starts talking in.... English.....I was so pleased to hear it....and then soon realized she was mad at someone or something and was probably inebriated ...she spoke of something and said it was Lord Ganesha's fault...I was nodding and smiling like any good listener (psychiatrist) would and she walked away. Sometimes all people need is to be heard, whether someone understands them or not is a different issue. Oh well, coming back to the menu, I chose the most least intimidating item, scrambled eggs. No one can mess with that. Well I was wrong, you can undercook them and so were mine. I ate as much as my palette would allow. In the meantime I was just enamored by the place, the people, the kids and the dogs. Gorgeous place, my hunger had vanished, looked like I had an appetite for something else and this place completely satisfied me with its energy. We headed back home in a cab, ready for a siesta and to face another day in Seville.

2 comments:

Random Walker said...

Ah gorgeous gorgeous... the place sounds very interesting...!!

Aakarsh said...

Cool! Nice to read this travelogue kind of piece! Brings the sights and smells (almost).

Have a fantastic trip!