While waiting at a traffic light, when a car passes by I saw that behind it was a tail of splattered water, since the roads were wet with the rain. If the car were absent and if I only looked at the distortion in the water on the road pass by. I would think the object is larger than the actual dimensions of the car. So my perception of the object could be skewed by the speed of movement of the object. If the object travelled faster, the distortion of the medium is more, thus appearing larger. While if the object were moving slower, with less distortion, the size perceived approaches the actual size of the object.
Are we perceiving the size of fast moving objects (electrons for example) larger than reality if we are using the distortion in the medium to sense it?
Just a thought….

1 comment:
You could slow the electron down by reducing the temperature or the electric field to very low values - that would give you a better sense of deviation from rest mass due to large velocity.
Post a Comment